Who Are You?

You'll hear University of Alberta staff often referred to as either Academic staff or Support Staff. Where do you fit in? Look below to see which group your position belongs with. Click on your position group (Academic or Support Staff) and follow the links provided to learn about the pension plans, vacation leaves and other benefits that go with your position.



  • Faculty
  • Faculty Service Officer (FSO)
  • Administrative and Professional Officer (APO)
  • Librarian


  • Contract Academic Staff: Teaching (CAST)
  • Sessional and Other Temporary Staff (SOTS)
  • Trust/Research Academic Staff (TRAS)

Support Staff

Operating and Trust

  • Regular (full-time continuing, part-time or recurring)
  • Auxiliary (hourly or salary)
  • Casual (level 1 or level 2)

 English as a Second Language (ESL)